Monday, September 4, 2017

Costa Rica: Land of Peace

A month ago, Roger and Nick and I were in Costa Rica.

Nick was going there to do a two-week project, and we thought we should go with him--and have a vacation too :). My summer class was cancelled for the first time in six years, so I had more time to travel mid-summer.
Lovely flower in Monteverde cloud forest

Butterfly at a restaurant amid gardens

Monteverde is a creative community: a rooster made of trash had just been placed on top of a dumpster while we were there.

We flew into San Jose, the capital, but our first destination was Monteverde, at the top of a mountain. It was a long bus ride up, slowed down by a dirt road the last 20 miles or so.

A locally owned grocery and restaurant where our big bus stopped on the way up the mountain.


When the bus dropped us off at the end of the narrow drive leading up to our hosts' house, we were glad we had come along with Nick: it was pitch dark and as we were standing there uncertainly, a storm of Frankenstein proportions hit: thunder, bolts of lightning, driving rain pouring down as we trudged we knew not exactly where. Nobody would want to arrive in a strange place in another country all alone to this kind of weather.

We made it to our kind hosts the Castillos and from there on, had a very good time.

Cats and dogs are part of the Costa Rican landscape


Montverde was essentially started by Quakers who settled there to farm in 1949. Costa Rica was and is a country without an army, so young Quaker men who were being jailed in the U.S. for being conscientious objectors could literally live in peace in Costa Rica. In the 1950s, they cleared cloud forest in order to dairy farm and start a cheese factory. In the 1960s, as scientists worried about climate change and species extinction began to descend on the cloud forest, the Quakers turned their energies to cloud forest preservation and ecological concerns. However, the cheese (and ice cream) factory is still there, and one of our highlights was getting the local ice cream.

Hummingbird at cloud forest feeder. There were dozens of hummingbirds around the feeders.

Today, the various Monteverde cloud forests are international tourist destinations and tourism drives the local economy. We saw and heard tourists from all over Europe: France, England, Germany and more. Monteverde has many coffeeshops and restaurants because of the tourists.


A highlight was a private guided tour of the cloudforest. We learned that the forest high up in the mountains is not officially in the rainforest but the cloudforest. The rain forest is the next level down the mountain and at the bottom, near the ocean, is the dry forest.

Hushed cloud forest

Touring the cloudforest was a spiritual experience. Our guide, who was excellent, didn't feel compelled to talk non-stop, so we were able to experience the profound stillness and peace of the forest. It was a remarkable experience. Unlike Barnesville, where the birds often create a cacophony of sound with their many raucous songs and loud cries, we at most heard the muted song of a bird in the distance. The forest was hushed and still.

As Quakers, it was a treat for us to visit the Monteverde Quaker school and meeting, and to have lunch at a small local outdoor restaurant run by Rockwells--relatives of Barnesville Quaker Rockwells.

View of the Monteverde school library, which is open 24/7. I always love seeing a card catalogue. 

The food in Costa Rica was wonderful--all fresh and home cooked. We enjoyed the "tipico" meal of black beans, rice, fried plantains and salad. The internet was quite good as well.

We learned that despite pressure from the business interests in San Jose who have put up hotels in Monteverde, the government sees no need to pave the last 20 miles of road up the mountain: from their point of view, there is a health clinic and a hospital at the top of the mountain, so no human need for rushing up the road. That kind of thinking was stunning to me, so indoctrinated am I into the idea that everything must be subordinated to business needs. One of the pleasures of international travel is, of course,  being exposed to different ideas and ways of life.

After a few days in Monteverde, Roger and I left Nick and headed down the mountain in the public bus to the Pacific coast. The three-hour ride cost each of us about $4 versus the $50 per person for the shuttle bus. The ride was pleasant and we watched as people talked to each other, children in school uniforms headed for the classroom, and people got on and off with shopping.

Ferry station

The ferry ride to the island where our tiny Mal Pais beach house was located was lovely. The public bus ride to the beach was not too lovely--very long and very hot--but very cheap.

Our beautiful beach house

Beach area: the jungle comes down the beach and you can hear monkeys.

We loved our beach house and the neighborhood feeling of our locale. We found a wonderful open air restaurant right on the beach, very reasonably priced. We also enjoyed swimming in the very warm ocean water. One day we bought fresh grouper right off the boat.

Restaurant on the beach. Really wonderful.

Fish market.  Our grouper had just been caught--and the fish market owner knew we would want it filleted. 

Costa Rica is a lovely, friendly, low-key place. Because it is so attuned to tourism, people there anticipated our needs before we knew what they were, which was helpful to us. At the same time, little to none of our trip felt conventionally "touristy."

Me on main dirt road in Mal Pais

Same road after rain

While Barnesville is hardly the epitome of consumerist, it was still a pleasure to stay for some days in a country even less consumer oriented. Costa Rica is dedicated to becoming energy self-sufficient and has put aside a large amount of its land as state park. Health care and education are available to all citizens--even higher education is free or very low cost to those who qualify. There is much the U.S. can learn from this tiny country.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds very peaceful and refreshing. From what I read Costa Rica is a place people visit and could it support them might move to. Thank you for that local history of Quakerism and how it has managed to gain a base. The gov't and the country's resources have not attracted the vicious attention other Latin and South American countries have from US corporations with the militarist US gov't to back them up. Lucky people.

    Swimming in warm water from nature a luxury :) Radcliffe has an interlude in her Romance of the Forest your tone made me remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Costa Rica very pleasant and an easy place to visit. Maybe one day I will look at Romance of the Forest.

      Delete
    2. BEST WAY TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK REUNITE TOGETHER CONTACT LORD ZULU DIRECTLY ON WHATSAPP +19097814612
      How to get your ex back fast! I was hurt and heart broken when a very big problem occurred in my marriage seven months ago, between me and my husband . so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again, and that he didn't love me anymore. So he packed out of the house and made me and my children pass through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back, after much begging, but all to no avail. and he confirmed that he had made his decision, and he never wanted to see me again. So one evening, as I was coming back from work, I met an old friend of mine who asked my husband .So I explained everything to him, so he told me that the only way I can get my husband back is to visit a priest, because it has really worked for him too. So I never believed in spells, but I had no other choice, than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the Email address of the priest whom he visited. So the next morning, I sent a letter to the address he gave to me, and the priest assured me that I will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed, so he spoke with me, and told me everything that I needed to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day, our relationship was now stronger than how it was before, by the help of a priest. So, I will advise you out there if you have any problem contact LORD ZULU, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. or WhatsApp him on +1(909)7814612 OR EMAIL:; ALLSUPREMEPOWERSOLUTIONHOME@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
  2. Lovely blog! I visited Costa Rica about 25 years ago when it was just developing its tourism and trying to get Americans to retire there. Perhaps this has something to do with US government nonintervention. In any case, this is a curious point. I love the photos and wish I had visited the rain forest, but it was too muddy when I was there. Your beach house looks perfect! Don't you long to return? Looks like a great place to chill out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, I do long to return-and the beach house was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to give thanks to DR PETER for bringing back my ex husband. No one could have ever made me believe that the letter I’m about to write would actually one day be written. I was the world’s biggest skeptic. I never believed in magic spells or anything like this, but I was told by a reliable source (a very close co-worker) that Trust is a very dedicated, gifted, and talented person, It was one of the best things I have ever done. My love life was in shambles; I had been through two divorces and was on the brink of a third. I just couldn't face another divorce, and I wanted to try harder to make our relationship work, but my husband didn’t seem to care. and he broke up with me again. I was confused and did not know what to do again, rather than to get in contact with DR PETER . He did a love spell that made my husband come back to me. We are now very much happy with ourselves. DR PETER makes him realize how much we love and need each other. This man is for REAL and for good. He can also help you to fix your broken relationship. I had my husband back! It was like a miracle! He suddenly wanted to go to marriage counseling, and we’re doing very, very well, in our love life. contact email drpeterspellcaster21@gmail.com / text or add him up WhatsApp on +19844092762

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK & HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER. BACK I want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then he told me to contact: {dromokpo@gmail.com}that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man. That this great man helped her too.

    Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and I forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship stress or broken marriage situation and you want your Ex lover, Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife back you reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome. BE NOT TROUBLED anymore. you’re at the right place. Nothing like having trustworthy hackers. have you lost money before or bitcoins and are looking for a hacker to get your money back? You should contact us right away. It's very affordable and we give guarantees to our clients. Our hacking services are as follows:
    Email:Creditcards.atm@gmail.com
    whatsapp:+1(785) 279-3047
    -hack into any kind of phone
    _Increase Credit Scores
    _western union, bitcoin and money gram hacking
    _criminal records deletion_BLANK ATM/CREDIT CARDS
    _Hacking of phones(that of your spouse, boss, friends, and seeing whatever is being discussed behind your back)
    _Security system hacking...and so much more. Contact THEM now and get whatever you want at
    Email:Creditcards.atm@gmail.com
    whats app:+1(785) 279-3047

    WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO HIRE A HACKER??:
    There are so many Reasons why people need to hire a hacker, It might be to Hack a Websites to deface information, retrieve information, edit information or give you admin access.
    • Some people might need us To Hack Their Target Smartphone so that they could get access to all activities on the phone like , text messages , call logs , Social media Apps and other information
    • Some might need to Hack a Facebook , gmail, Instagram , twitter and other social media Accounts,
    • Also Some Individuals might want to Track someone else's Location probably for investigation cases
    • Some might need Us to Hack into the Court's Database to Clear criminal records.
    • However, Some People Might Have Lost So Much Funds With BINARY OPTIONS BROKERS or BTC MINING and wish to Recover Their Funds
    • All these Are what we can get Done Asap With The Help Of Our Root Hack Tools, Special Hack Tools and Our Technical Hacking Strategies Which Surpasses All Other Hackers.

    ★ OUR SPECIAL SERVICES WE OFFER ARE:
    * RECOVERY OF LOST FUNDS ON BINARY OPTIONS

    * Credit Cards Loading {Any country}

    * BANK Account Loading {Any country}

    ★ You can also contact us for other Cyber Attacks And Hijackings, we do All ★

    ★ CONTACTS:
    * For Binary Options Recovery,feel free to contact (Creditcards.atm@gmail.com)for a wonderful job well done,stay safe.


    IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND TRUSTED

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHATSAPP: +1 (901) 878-9747

    Telegram: @Approveddocumente

    EMAIL: approvedocs365@gmail.com
    BUY CDC COVID-19 VACCINATION RECORD CARD
    BUY CANADIAN DIGITAL COVID-19 CERTIFICATE
    without taking the vaccine
    Buy CDC Vaccination cards online

    We produce a verified registered cdc covid19 vaccination cards that can enable you travel or present at your job side
    buy registered covid19 vaccination cards at affordable prices

    Buy Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate Online
    Buy CDC Vaccination cards online

    Do you want to travel abroad, and you need a Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate without taking the vaccine?
    We are here to help you obtain a valid Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate without taking the vaccine.
    Some people do not have time to take the vaccine,
    others do not have access to the vaccine.
    To travel abroad you need to provide a valid Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate to prove you have taken the vaccine.

    Buy covid-19 vaccine Certificate Online USA
    How to get Covid-19 Vaccine Certificate without vaccine
    Covid-19 vaccine passport to travel

    #BuyCovidVaccineCard
    #covid
    #pfizer
    #vaccine
    #cdc
    #covidvaccinecertificate
    #buycovidcertificate
    #covid-19
    #corona
    #vaccination
    #certification
    #cdcvaccinecertificate
    #covidcertification
    #corona
    #coronavaccinecertificate
    BUY DRIVERS LICENSE
    Buy German driver's license, US driver's license, Spanish passport, Canada driver's license, ID CARD, IELTS, TOEFL, VISA, birth certificate, school diplomas, marriage
    certificate, US, GREENCARD, SSN and many other documents in less than five working days.

    BUY DRIVERS LICENSE

    Buy Real and Fake Passports Online

    Buy Registered Id Cards Online

    Buy CDC Vaccination cards online card-online/ Buy covid 19 Vaccination cards online

    CALL/TEXT: +1 (901) 878-9747

    WHATSAPP: +1 (901) 878-9747

    Telegram: @Approveddocumente

    EMAIL: approvedocs365@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
    HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
    searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
    Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
    Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
    been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
    listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
    him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
    it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
    my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
    you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
    and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
    problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
    or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE SPELL TO BRING BACK YOUR EX LOVER AND BROKEN MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP.

    BIG THANKS TO: ( DROMOKPO@GMAIL.COM ) FOR SAVING MY BROKEN MARRIAGE AND FOR HELPING ME WITH HIS LOVE SPELL TO BRING BACK MY EX LOVER WHO DIVORCE ME AND WENT FOR ANOTHER GIRL HE WAS ALMOST GETTING. READY TO MARRY ANOTHER LADY WHO WAS HIS HIS SENIOR CO- WORKER BECAUSE SHE WAS HIS CO- WORKER THE LADY HAVE A LOVE SPELL ON MY HUSBAND AND WANTED TO STEAL HIM AWAY FROM ME AND MY FAMILY. BUT WITH THE GREAT HELP OF THIS MAN DR. OMOKPO LOVE SPELL I WAS ABLE TO GET HIM BACK

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello everyone my name is wee and i'm here to testify about a great doctor, dr marsu who
    brought back my ex to me, after he left me for another woman. My ex and i dated for 3 years Having plans of getting married too, then
    suddenly his attitude changed towards me that was when i noticed he has started cheating on me after few months he broke up with me which left me totally heart broken and frustrated but then luck shined on me after i contacted dr marsu and within 24 hours my ex came running back to me begging for my forgiviness and after few weeks he proposed to me.So now i'm married to the love of my life and expecting a beautiful baby. if you have any marriage problem, any diseases, or you need a child. contact dr marsu on whatsapp +2349139174545 or email him @ drmarsuofficial@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete